As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Disclaimer: All opinions are formed from personal opinion/research.
So, I like to keep it real with you guys and I have to tell y’all how I started drinking green tea because, I think it’s kinda funny. I have been drinking green tea since I was 14 and I am almost 28 now. That’s 14 years! That’s longer than most marriages these days. That’s saying something. On to the story.
Green Tea and Halle Berry
Instyle magazine used to be my jam. I bought every single issue and would flip through the glossy pages, almost daily, until the next one was released.
One particular month, Halle Berry in all her regal gloriousness was the cover girl. I remember it like it was yesterday, she was radiant. I flipped to the cover feature where they go through all the makeup they used to create the cover photo (my favorite part).
The writer of the article mentioned that Halle (we’re on a first name basis) had such stunning skin.
During their shoot, she asked her how she got her skin to look so amazing, to which Halle replied, “I drink green tea almost daily, it gives such a glow to the skin.” Say no more. I was on the green tea wagon.
I would love to know if there was a rise in green tea sales after that issue. Suffice it to say, I didn’t know the benefits of green tea but Halle drank it and that was enough for me. She could have said she drinks pond water and I would have jumped on board.
Now that I am older I have looked into the benefits of green tea, specifically, green tea matcha benefits, and they are pretty amazing!
Green Tea Matcha Benefits
- Gentle caffeine boost: Due to the l-theanine found in green tea leaves, it is believed that caffeine in matcha releases slower than traditional forms of caffeine. This allows a prolonged energy boost without the crash.
- Antioxidants: Green tea is one of the highest rated in antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect your cells against free radicals, which is pretty important!
- Immune Support: Piggy backing off of the previous benefit, increasing antioxidant ingestion in your diet may help boost your immune system. I always try to up my matcha intake in the winter.
- Better Brain Function: Some studies have even suggested that participants who ingested matcha were more focused and had better memory recollection.
- You Get to Look like Halle Berry: Ok, so maybe you won’t look lie Halle Berry, but she wasn’t lying about the amazing skin benefits that matcha has. The antioxidants found in matcha may also have an amazing impact on your skin health. I have always noticed that my breakouts and scars heal faster when matcha is consistently part of my diet.
Types of Green Tea
- Traditional Green Tea: This tea is usually found in bags or loose leaf. I personally really enjoy this type of tea, especially if I am traveling. You can even find these green teas infused with jasmine which is super nice in the summer.
- Matcha Teas: I only recently discovered that there were different grades found in matcha teas.
- Ceremonial: This is essentially the fine wine of all matchas. I would not recommend this grade for anyone new to matcha. It has a very strong flavor that may be an acquired taste for some.
- Culinary: This matcha is best for your everyday lattes, baking, smoothies etc. The flavors differ by brand and it can be hard to know which brand is the best for your culinary and beverage needs. Check out my recommendation below,
- Brand: Jade Leaf
- Best Price: Here
- Grade: Culinary Grade
Jade Leaf offers a beautiful authentic Japanese green tea matcha. Absolutely perfect for the matcha beginner who wants to dip their toes into the matcha world. It would be perfect for lattes and smoothies. I even like to add some to my protein shakes from time to time (had to make a fitness reference). It is also important to note that buying organic matcha is imperative and the key to gaining the benefits we talked about above!
If you give this a try please let me know! I am planning on sharing my own green tea matcha latte, soon! Might want to grab your bag so you are prepared!!